Monday, August 20, 2012

New Plumbing Technology

Uninscribed lead pipe with a folded seam, at t...
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Plumbing isn't something you really spend much time unless it develops a problem. It wasn't until my girlfriend's parents had an issue with their water pipes that I had really had much to do with plumbers, but when I got the chance you can bet I was quizzing him about his gadgets – we all know how I love my gadgets!!

I spent a good hour chatting to him about the various new advances in terms of technology in the plumbing industry. I know I'm lame, but that's how I roll! One of the things Steve (the plumber) was excited about was epoxy pipe lining. This allows him to avoid having to replace pipes when they become worn and develop holes. Instead he simply sandblasts the inside of the pipe to remove the corrosion and then fills it with an epoxy liner which seals the pipe and makes it good for use again! Some of the other upgrades include new sorts of sink including ones which have a third tap which is filtered to be drinking water; tank-less water heaters which can provide an endless supply of hot water but remain energy efficient.

So of course now I am badgering Carolyn Joy about us upgrading our plumbing in the apartment! I want me that special sink and endless hot water sounds enticing! However, the stuff we have is only a few years old so we don't want to spend money replacing them right now. I do think it is good to be aware of new technology though even if it is only something you might consider in 5 years! I am sure by the time we get around to renewing the water heater there will be more advances in the field of plumbing. I did grab Steve’s card though it's always good to have an emergency plumber in your contacts!

No comments:

Post a Comment